The California month-to-month rental agreement is a document that contains tenancy guidelines and binds a landlord and a tenant. The agreement is written following the California Civil Code § § 1925 to 1954.1; 1961 to 1995.340. With this type of agreement, the landlord can gather details on their tenant and the tenant can understand the laid out obligations.
Steps to fill California month-to-month rental agreement
The first section requires:
- The date the agreement is entered.
- The name of the landlord, address, phone number and the name of the tenant.
The parties’ agreement
- First, the address of the premise is entered.
- The rent to be paid, the date for making the payments and the tenancy commencement date.
- The prorated rent if any as well as regular rent.
- Payment methods to be used.
- Rent payee and location details.
- The security deposit to be paid.
- Utilities to be provided sand their conditions.
- Conditions regarding late fees and insufficient funds.
- The sections that follow explain in details the following:
- Change to the payment method
- Rental unit availability
- Acceptance of the premises where the tenant inspects the premise and accepts it is in good and satisfying conditions as outlined.
- Details of all the occupants and their birthdates.
- Guest visits and outlined conditions.
- Renters insurance, coverage and other explained insights.
- Set of provided keys.
- Parking conditions
- Storage policy should be checked appropriately
- Smoking policy and the appropriate boxes should be checked.
- Subletting and assignment of the premises where the tenant should not sublease without the landlord’s consent.
- Prohibitions explained in details
- Entry and cooperation during business hours.
- Repair and maintenance conditions.
Use of the property
- Tenant agrees to use the premises for residency purposes only. No retail, commercial, or professional use of the premises shall be made unless such use conforms to applicable zoning laws and the prior written consent of Owner/Agent is obtained in advance of such proposed use.
- No removal of large appliances without the consent of the owner.
- Quiet enjoyment in the premises
- The resident is responsible for any fines or other costs occasioned by violations of the law by the resident or Resident’s guests on the premises or property while the Resident is in possession.
- Tenant agrees to change batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detection devices and change of batteries in smoke.
- Severability clause.
- The sale or refinance of the property agreement by the tenant
- Name and address of the agent for the service of notices.
- Attorney’s fees.
- Addenda and the resident’s initials.
Once both parties have agreed on the agreement and all the attachments, all the residents sign as an acknowledgment. The landlord also signs the residents and the agreement becomes official.
The California month-to-month rental agreement allows the tenant and the landlord to understand what is expected of them during the entire tenancy period as required by the California state laws.